For thousands of years we struggled with the great questions of existence. Who are we? What is the world made of? How did we get here? The quest to answer these is the history of science.
Each week, medical journalist Michael Mosley charts the often unpredictable path we have taken. In recreating a famous alchemist experiment, following in the footsteps of Galileo and placed in the hands of a hypnotist unpicks Michael, how science has changed the way we see ourselves and how we view our world.
It is a story of courage and fear, hope and disaster, persistence and success. That weaves the great forces of history – revolution, the voyages of discovery and artistic movements – with practical inventions, inventive and stubbornness of the experimenters and scientists.
This is the story of how the story made science and how science has made history, and how the ideas that emerged made the modern world.
1. What you need? How do we understand that our planet was not at the center of everything in the cosmos.
2. What is the world made of? How the atomic theories and concepts of quantum physics underlying modern technology.
3. How did we get here? Michael Mosley tells how scientists came to explain the diversity of life on earth.
4. Can we have unlimited power? The story of how power has been harnessed by the wind, and vapor from inside the atom.
5. What is the secret of life? Michael Moseley told the story of how the secret of life has unraveled through the prism of more complex organisms known – the human body.
6. Who are we? The twin sciences of brain anatomy and psychology have offered different visions of who we are. Now, these sciences have come together and in the process revealed some startling and uncomfortable truths about what really shapes our ideas, feelings and desires.
31 years ago, NASA experienced one of the greatest disasters in the history of the space program. The space shuttle Challenger broke apart just 73 seconds into the flight.The disas...
We all know Walt Disney as the guy responsible for making the best cartoons and animated movies. He started in the revolution when he released the first Mickey Mouse cartoon....
Diamonds are woman's best friends. Diamonds are the most prestigious of all gems, and every woman would do anything to wear one on her neck.We all know that diamonds are formed und...
The first association we get about stars in our universe is the Sun. The sun is one of the biggest stars we see on a daily basis. But the Sun is just one of the many stars in...