Channel 4 Documentary following the revolutionary life extension and immortality ideas of this somewhat eccentric scientist, Dr. Aubrey de Grey.
This show is about the radical ideas of a Cambridge biomedical gerontologist called Aubrey de Grey, who believes that within the next 20-30 years, which could prolong life indefinitely by addressing seven major factors in the process aging.
He describes his work as Strategies for Engineering Negligible aging (SENS).
The theory describes SENS “seven deadly things” that erode the youth of the body at the cellular level, eventually leading to death from old age.
Aubrey de Grey means to implement the exercise, gene therapy, stem cells, and other methods yet to be discovered of medicine to counteract each of these devices advancing age:
1. Cell death and atrophy: can be treated with exercise, stem cells and chemicals that stimulate cell division.
2. Cancer cells: Theoretically it can be treated with a type of gene therapy are being developed, called whole-body interdiction of lengthening of telomeres (Wilt).
3. Mutant mitochondria: DNA mutated mitochondria causes a number of diseases. These can be avoided by moving the mitochondrial DNA in the cell nucleus, where the rest of the DNA resides.
4. Cellular senescence (unwanted cells): The fat cells and there are things that are unwanted can be removed surgically or by stimulating the immune system to attack the unwanted cells.
5. Extracellular crosslinks (loss of elasticity): Certain proteins, such as those of the cells that form the arteries become too rigid over time because it linked. These bonds can be broken with certain chemicals (some in clinical trials even today).
6 extracellular junk, “Plate”, which contains between cells can be eliminated by stimulating the immune system, and / or through the use of peptides called “beta-breakers”.
7. Intracellular Garbage: Garbage molecular certain cells can avoid overwhelming the introduction of enzymes that are known to be effective against these molecules.