Deoxyribonucleic acid or DNA is a nucleic acid that contains the genetic instructions used in the development and functioning of all known living organisms (with the exception of RNA viruses).
The main function of the DNA molecules is the long-term storage of information. DNA is often compared to a set of plans as a recipe or a code, because it contains the instructions needed to construct other components of cells, such as proteins and RNA molecules.
The DNA segments that carry this genetic information are called genes, but other DNA sequences have structural purposes or are involved in regulating the use of genetic information.
1. The Secret of Life – The discovery of the double helix structure of DNA is the science that is the Mona Lisa painting. It has been called the greatest discovery of all time only. But just stumbled on – has been a race. Specifically, it was a race between two teams of young scientists working in Britain, as well as the renowned chemist Linus Pauling, based in California.
2. Playing God – In 1973, two scientists conducted an experiment that shocked the world. By transferring the DNA from one species to another, Herb Boyer and Stan Cohen became the first genetic engineers. The experiment triggered a wave of controversy about the dangers of genetic manipulation, but also generates a billion dollar industry.
3. Human Race – In the 1990s, the race to solve the structure of DNA fifty years ago was overshadowed by another race: to catalog all the genes in the human genome. The rivalry became so bitter that the presidents and prime ministers had to intervene in an epic effort to take more than a decade to complete and cost millions of dollars. The story begins in 1990 when the Human Genome Project was launched to decipher the complete instruction manual of human beings.
4. Cure cancer – Romaine Bud was diagnosed with incurable cancer in 1994. He was given three years of life. In 1996, a newspaper article caught his attention. The article describes the work of a local doctor, Brian Druker, who was testing a new type of anticancer drug. In 1997, months after the death, Bud Romine became the first patient to take Gleevec.
5. Pandora’s Box – We asked Jim Watson to give us a tour of the future. He believes that the science of DNA should be used to change the human race. His views are extraordinary and very controversial. Watson argues for a new kind of eugenics – where parents can choose the DNA of their children – to be healthier, smarter, more beautiful.
31 years ago, NASA experienced one of the greatest disasters in the history of the space program. The space shuttle Challenger broke apart just 73 seconds into the flight.The disas...